Whereas retailers have been reeling from the results of COVID-19, Columbiana Centre continues to be filling up retail areas.
In current months, the mall added seven shops and kiosks to the listing, however there isn’t a knowledge on what number of shops closed. There are 16 vacancies within the mall, in accordance with the mall’s on-line map. Administration at Columbiana Centre, which is owned by the large actual property agency Brookfield Properties, couldn’t be reached for remark.
With main retailers like JCPenney, an anchor retailer at Columbiana Centre, J.Crew and Neiman Marcus submitting for chapter in 2020, malls took a blow.
Mike Watson, a retail professor at USC, mentioned malls began to say no in recognition and income 5 to seven years in the past, and retail consultants had predicted that 20-30% of malls would shut by 2030. Now, Watson mentioned forecasts present 20-30% of malls will shut by subsequent 12 months.
“That’s how briskly this pandemic has accelerated the already declining livelihood of the mall,” Watson mentioned.
JCPenney introduced in June that it could shut as much as 200 shops throughout the nation, together with one in Sumter, however the retailer at Columbiana Centre is not on the list to shut, in accordance with the corporate’s web site.
A study from S&P Global Market Intelligence in December named seven firms, together with Brookfield Properties, that can face distinctive dangers within the coming months.
Nationally, malls need to fight these six components, in accordance with S&P: a excessive proportion of anchor tenants which have declared chapter, a decline in constructing allow exercise, a decline in foot site visitors, a excessive diploma of leverage, declining money circulate and a excessive proportion of tenants which have filed for chapter.
For Columbiana Centre particularly, Watson predicts that extra indoor malls will attempt to add important companies to its portfolios and can add outside entrances or transform to create an open-air surroundings that caters to client habits.
What’s coming to Columbiana Centre
- Garra Fish Spa: This spa will feature the Garra Rufa fish in tanks that your toes go in. The fish create a soothing sensation and will make your toes softer, in accordance with the corporate.
- China Wok: A brand new Chinese language restaurant will open within the Meals Courtroom.
What’s new at Columbiana Centre
- BoxLunch: This firm makes a donation to Feeding America with each $10 spent on its pop culture-themed merchandise. It’s positioned close to JCPenney.
- Edge: This retailer is positioned subsequent to Hole and close to Belk. It sells ladies’s and males’s clothes.
- Hickory Farms: Subsequent to BoxLunch close to JCPenney, Hickory Farms focuses on present baskets stuffed with meats, cheeses and desserts.
- Sizzling Matter: The chain retailer opened subsequent to Stylish-fil-A within the meals courtroom. Sizzling Matter sells formally licensed music and popular culture attire and equipment.
- Pandora Vacation Reward Bar: Subsequent to Hollister and throughout from End Line, the Pandora retailer sells custom-made jewellery and presents.
- Premier Martial Arts: To study extra concerning the firm’s martial arts lessons, you’ll be able to go to its new kiosk. Classes in Tae Kwon Do, kickboxing and Krav Maga can be found at 275 Harbison Blvd., Columbia.
10ft Chargers: Close to JCPenney’s, 10ft Chargers is a kiosk that sells, you guessed it, 10-foot-long telephone chargers.