A GIRL born with one hand was REFUSED incapacity funds by the DWP leaving her mom “struggling to stay”.
Kacey Bailey-Clarke, 15, and her mom, Toni, 33, from Ilkeston, declare they’ve been “preventing” for years for the funds to be restored after they had been stripped from her.
Kacey had been receiving £200 every month whereas her mom had been getting assist with council tax in addition to a top-up cost.
Now they’ve arrange a Go-fund-me web page for a hero ‘Hero Arm’ after being refused funds twice, together with at a tribunal.
The multi-grip bionic arm will price £4,450.
Toni advised The Nottingham Post: “Kacey isn’t classed as disabled so we arrange the fundraising web page for her. I’m a single mum or dad and I bodily can’t afford to offer my daughter what she deserves.
“She bought DLA for about three years after which once I utilized once more, they refused it.
“I spent one other yr attempting to attraction it and I went to a tribunal.
“For them to say she’s a standard teenager when you’ll be able to bodily see her incapacity is absolutely upsetting.”
Toni says that after the funds had been taken away she has been “residing day after day.”
She stated: “For the previous yr I’ve simply given up preventing it. If Kacey had that £200 a month, not less than £100 may go in the direction of the brand new bionic arm. Little issues like that may actually assist.
“It’s one much less factor for her to get picked on for. She needed to cease her kickboxing lessons when the cash was taken away as I couldn’t afford it.
“I’m struggling to stay day after day. It actually has been horrendous, I don’t suppose it’s truthful in any respect.
“I need to give Kacey what she desires as she has been bullied and it has knocked her confidence.”
The bionic arm will assist Kacey, who loves snowboarding, boxing and mountain biking, to be extra lively and assured.
Kacey stated: “I do attempt my greatest to remain assured however there are positively instances the place I take into consideration what it will be like if I had two palms and the way totally different that may be.
What to do in case you have issues claiming Common Credit score
IF you are experiencing bother making use of on your Common Credit score, or the funds simply do not cowl prices, listed here are your choices:
- Apply for an advance – Claimants are capable of get some money inside 5 days fairly than ready weeks for his or her first cost. Nevertheless it’s a mortgage which suggests the repayments will likely be robotically deducted out of your future Common Credit score payout.
- Different Cost Preparations – In case you’re falling behind on hire, you or your landlord could possibly apply for an APA which is able to get your cost despatched on to your landlord. You may additionally be capable of change your funds to get them extra ceaselessly, or you’ll be able to break up the funds when you’re a part of a pair.
- Budgeting Advance – You could possibly get assist from the Authorities for emergency family prices of as much as £348 when you’re single, £464 when you’re a part of a pair or £812 in case you have kids. These are solely in circumstances like your cooker breaking down or for assist getting a job. You may should repay the advance via your common Common Credit score funds. You may nonetheless should repay the mortgage, even when you cease claiming for Common Credit score.
- Lower your Council Tax – You would possibly be capable of get a reduction in your Council Tax by making use of for a Council Tax Discount. Alternatively, you could be entitled to Discretionary Housing Funds to assist cowl your hire.
- Foodbanks – In case you’re actually exhausting up and struggling to purchase meals and toiletries, you could find your native foodbank who will give you assist totally free. Yow will discover your nearest one on the Trussell Trust website.
“The brand new arm would assist with cooking meals, it will make chopping and peeling ten instances simpler.
“It could actually assist with placing on make-up too. Principally it will assist with my confidence, I attempt to conceal one arm loads with out realising – however I am not ashamed of it, I am pleased with it and need it to be a cool factor.
“It is a kind of belongings you’ve bought to try to be assured about as a result of if it makes you insecure then will probably be harder.”
A DWP spokesperson stated: “Our precedence is for disabled kids to get the help they’re entitled to and selections are made following consideration of all the data supplied, together with supporting proof from a GP or medical specialist.
“If somebody disagrees with a call then they’ve the appropriate to ask for a assessment adopted by an unbiased attraction.